Thursday, November 20, 2008

Night Photography - Hong Kong The Peak

After spending quite few months in Hong Kong I thought it was about time to take a trip up the peak and shoot the city from above. You may wonder why I haven't done it before? Well its not as easy as it sounds! Due to Hong Kong being one of the most densely populated areas on the planet combined with heat, humidity and the hideous amount of pollution that drifts over the border from China, most days you can't even see the top of the tallest buildings. If you watch the weather very carefully every now there are gaps in the smog and Hong Kong presents itself in a way most visitors are only likely to see on postcards. Don't get me wrong Hong Kong is a pretty impressive sight. Even on a hazy day you can't help but be in awe of the mass of towering concrete, steel and glass, but on a clear day it is breath taking. One of the best view points on one of these special clear days is from the Peak. The Peak is literally that, its pretty much the highest point on Hong Kong Island and top of the list when most people visit the city. Historically the peak was used for signalling ships and then later was home exclusively to rich expats and is still one of the most exclusive and expensive areas of Hong Kong. The best way to get there is by the Peak Tram which is operated on a cable system which drags the tram cars up the hill at an incredibly steep angle. Incidentally the tram system has been operating for 120 years this year, luckily they have made a few updates to the original construction! After a trip up the steep incline you will really appreciate what it must have been like before the tram was built. The favoured way up by expats in the late 1800's was by sedan chair, this is basically a chair with two poles running in front and behind and is carried by two men!

Once at the top, in typical tourism style you are forced to walk through a gift shop full of overpriced goodies that you will never need and then into the Peak Tower. Its last renovation was completed in 2005 and its now a full blown shopping and tourist centre with restaurants and even a Madame Tussuad's. You can pay the extra and take the zig zagging escalators to the viewing platform at the top, but I would recommend the free option using your legs and taking the 2.6km walk which takes you all the way around the peak. On the day I was up there it was pretty quiet and the path takes you through some lovely nature and with a great sunset on one side and the spectacular view on the other I was spoilt for choice!

Hmm I wasn't meaning for this to turn into an excerpt from the Lonely Planet but I thought I may as well stick a bit of extra info in for anyone interested...

So to the picture side of things - I wanted to get some nice shots of a clear Hong Kong which as I mentioned before isn't easy. When I first arrived I snapped a couple in daylight and some nice ones as the light started to soften, but what I was really waiting for was dusk when everything comes alive like lights on a Christmas tree. Anyway I have posted a couple of shots and I hope you enjoy them.

1 comment: